— Band version —
A surround-sound programmatic work based on I Kings 18
(the 3rd movement of AND THEY GATHERED ON MOUNT CARMEL)
Finalist, 2013 American Prize for Composition
9 minutes. Grade 5-6.
BLOWS THE AUDIENCE AWAY
I have conducted this work on several occasions and it always blows the audience away. All of Ayers’ works are extremely well-crafted by a composer who really knows and respects the concert band.
Digital Score & Parts — $75
Instant digital PDF downloads (downloaded from this website)
Pay, print, rehearse. No waiting for delivery.
Includes score & parts for a reduced brass version.
Full brass is 6 trp, 4 hn, 4 trb, 2 euph, 2 tuba. Reduced brass is 3 trp, 4 hn, 3 trb, 1 euph, 1 tuba.
Excerpt from 3rd movement
from the Windiana Ayers Biblical Epics Concert
- The brass are split into two choirs, one of each side of the audience.
- Original full brass version: 6 trps, 4 hns, 4 trbs, 2 euphs, 2 tubas.
- Reduced brass version: 3 trps, 4 hns, 3 trbs, 1 euph, 1 tuba.
- This work uses an optional antiphonal woodwind choir (3fl + 3cl) behind the audience to create a phasing reverberation effect. These are simple parts that can be performed with minimal rehearsal by guests from a 2nd band.
- Several extra “performers” twirl whistling tubes. These performers can be guests such as local students, board members, or dignitaries. (One of the “twirlers” should be a bona fide musician who has rehearsed with the band to serve as a “twirl-when-I-twirl” leader.
The tubes are available from toy stores and online retailers like Amazon. A Google search for “whistling tubes” should locate them.
- Susquehanna Symphony Orchestra, Sheldon Bair, conducting
- Windiana Concert Band, Dr. Jeffrey Scott Doebler, conducting
- University of Rhode Island Symphonic Wind Ensemble, Dr. Gene Pollart, conducting
- Concordia Wind Orchestra, Dr. Jeff Held, conducting
- The Slovenian Armed Forces Orchestra; Milivoj Surbek, conducting; as part of the 2003 ISCM World Music Days new music festival.
- The California State University – Bakersfield Concert Band; Doug Davis, conducting.
- Valparaiso University Chamber Concert Band, Dr. Jeffrey Scott Doebler, conducting
- Heidelberg College Symphonic Band, Dr. John Owens, conducting
- Concordia University Chicago Wind Symphony, Dr. Richard Fischer, conducting
- Virginia Intercollegiate Honors Band, Dr. Jesse Ayers, conducting
- University of Kentucky Wind Ensemble, Dr. Richard Clary, conducting
Windiana Presents Ayers Biblical Epics Triolgy
The Windiana Concert Band, under the direction of Dr. Jeffrey Scott Doebler, presented a program on November 17, 2011, of the three large Biblical works by composer Jesse Ayers. The works performed were AND THEY GATHERED ON MOUNT CARMEL, JERICHO, and RAHAB. Mezzo-soprano Beth Ray Westlund sang the role of Rahab. The concert was held at the historic Memorial Opera House, Valparaiso, Indiana, a venue used by the Sousa Band.