— Band version —
A surround-sound programmatic work based on I Kings 18
(the 1st movement of AND THEY GATHERED ON MOUNT CARMEL)
Finalist, 2013 American Prize for Composition
8 minutes. Grade 5-6.
BLOWS THE AUDIENCE AWAY
I have conducted this work on several occasions and it always blows the audience away. All of Ayers’ works are extremely well-crafted by a composer who really knows and respects the concert band.
- The brass are split into two choirs, one of each side of the audience.
- Total brass parts: 6 trps – 4 hns – 4 trbs – 2 euphs – 2 tubas.
- Reduced brass version: 3 trps – 4 hns – 3 trbs – 1 euph – 1 tuba.
from the Windiana “Ayers Biblical Epics” Concert
- Windiana Concert Band, Dr. Jeffrey Scott Doebler, conducting
- University of Rhode Island Symphonic Wind Ensemble, Dr. Gene Pollart, conducting
- Concordia Wind Orchestra, Dr. Jeff Held, conducting
- Valparaiso University Chamber Concert Band, Dr. Jeffrey Scott Doebler, conducting
- Heidelberg College Symphonic Band, Dr. John Owens, conducting
- Concordia University Chicago Wind Symphony, Dr. Richard Fischer, conducting
- Virginia Intercollegiate Honors Band, Dr. Jesse Ayers, conducting
- University of Kentucky Wind Ensemble, Dr. Richard Clary, conducting
Windiana Presents Ayers Biblical Epics Triolgy
The Windiana Concert Band, under the direction of Dr. Jeffrey Scott Doebler, presented a program on November 17, 2011, of the three large Biblical works by composer Jesse Ayers. The works performed were AND THEY GATHERED ON MOUNT CARMEL, JERICHO, and RAHAB. Mezzo-soprano Beth Ray Westlund sang the role of Rahab. The concert was held at the historic Memorial Opera House, Valparaiso, Indiana, a venue used by the Sousa Band.