— Band Version —
“Blows the audience away”
(the 2nd movement of AND THEY GATHERED ON MOUNT CARMEL)
FINALIST, 2013 American Prize for Composition
8 minutes. Band grade 4. Soloist grade 6.
SCROLL DOWN FOR RECORDINGS
BLOWS THE AUDIENCE AWAY
I have conducted this work on several occasions and it always blows the audience away. All of Ayers’s works are extremely well-crafted by a composer who really knows and respects the concert band.
Digital Score & Parts — $75
Instant digital PDF downloads (downloaded from this website)
Pay, print, rehearse. No waiting for delivery.
Score only PDF — $25
Solo part – digital download – $5
Also available for orchestra
fr0m the Windiana Ayers Biblical Epics Concert
- The brass are split into two choirs, one of each side of the audience.
- Total brass parts: 6 trps, 4 hns, 4 trbs, 2 euphs, 2 tubas.
- This entire movement is an extended euphonium solo requiring an excelent player. The band parts are grade 4, not technically difficult, but requiring good musicianship.
- Several extra “performers” twirl whistling tubes. These performers can be guests such as local students, board members, or dignitaries. (One of the “twirlers” should be a bona fide musician who has rehearsed with the band to serve as a “twirl-when-I-twirl” leader.
The tubes are available from toy stores and online retailers like Amazon. A Google search for “whistling tubes” should locate them.
- Windiana Concert Band, Dr. Jeffrey Scott Doebler, conducting
- University of Rhode Island Symphonic Wind Ensemble, Dr. Gene Pollart, conducting
- Concordia Wind Orchestra, Dr. Jeff Held, conducting
- Valparaiso University Chamber Concert Band, Dr. Jeffrey Scott Doebler, conducting
- Heidelberg College Symphonic Band, Dr. John Owens, conducting
- Concordia University Chicago Wind Symphony, Dr. Richard Fischer, conducting
- Virginia Intercollegiate Honors Band, Dr. Jesse Ayers, conducting
- University of Kentucky Wind Ensemble, Dr. Richard Clary, conducting
Windiana Presents Ayers Biblical Epics Triolgy
The Windiana Concert Band, under the direction of Dr. Jeffrey Scott Doebler, presented a program on November 17, 2011, of the three large Biblical works by composer Jesse Ayers. The works performed were AND THEY GATHERED ON MOUNT CARMEL, JERICHO, and RAHAB. Mezzo-soprano Beth Ray Westlund sang the role of Rahab. The concert was held at the historic Memorial Opera House, Valparaiso, Indiana, a venue used by the Sousa Band.